Thursday, May 15, 2014

More About My Trip :)

PACKING AND TRAVELING:

Specifically, what kind of linens did you need to bring?
None. You will get them with your room.

What are you glad you packed from home.
A rain coat! it will rain a lot while you are here at the beginning of your stay.

What do you wish you had left at home?
My  biggest regret was high heels. I never wore them, it's impossible to walk in cobblestone with high heels.

Do you have any travel tips to pass on?
The first thing you should do when traveling on your own or as a small group is find a map! Also, don't be afraid to ask questions to random people, if you can't find a place or you are lost or anything at all, just ask someone it's not that hard. If they don't speak English find someone that does. A lot of people speak English in Europe especially the younger generation.

What places would you advice future students to see and why?
My favorite places that we traveled on our own that were amazing and you should definitely go to are Croatia and Barcelona. Make sure you go to these places near the end of the trip when it's warm though. They both have beaches and are gorgeous! The food is great and there is a lot to do there.

SOCIAL LIFE:

How did you meet students from your host country?
I met a lot of students from different places around Europe not only Czech students, but also students from Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Poland, Austria, Nigiria, and so on.  In the student Union you can meet a lot of them, there's always students there, also in clubs like "15 minutes" or "Belmundo" or "Varna" these are the popular ones. They like to go out a lot and drink so u can also meet people in  bars, and also different events that take place in Olomouc like festivals. We also had a meeting with some students after one of our classes to meet some Czech students so you can also meet them there. The biggest thing you need to know is that they are not always gonna come to you and wanna meet you, sometimes you will have to be the one going up to them and start a conversation.

How did you like to spend your free time and why?
My free time I spent it either hanging out with people, going out and having fun. Another way I spent my free time was running. There is a beautiful path just next to campus where I would run two or three times a week.  The rest of my free time I spent it watching New Girl with my roommate or movies (depending on the weather and how tired we were), and work on some homework and talk to my family and my boyfriend back home. One of my favorite things to do on my free time was also sleep, traveling every weekend for me was very tiring and I didn't get a lot of sleep so once I got back to my dorm, my bed was my best friend.

Is there anything you regret not doing more of in your free time?
Not really, I enjoyed my free time and everything I did in my free time.

What opportunities for social, recreational and cultural events that the host university or program offered did you like best and why?
The biggest one that I liked best was that every Wednesday at Belmundo there is a party for each country. Each country hosts a party with a welcome drink and snack. They also have a midnight surprise which is fun to watch.  We also hosted a night at Belmundo, so make sure you bring an outfit or "American" things so you can wear that night. You will probably meet the most people in Belmundo or in Envelopa.

What piece of advice would you give to future students regarding their non-academic life while overseas?
Take good care of your passport and when traveling make sure you take it with you! Don't get a ticket like I did. In big cities make sure you keep your purses close to you and not in your back pockets especially, there is a lot of pick-pocketing in big cities.  Make sure you meet as many people as you can while here, it is really cool to get to know people from different countries and their lifestyle, customs, and language. My favorite thing was definitely making friends abroad.

SCHOOL WORK:

How did your academic experience at Palacky differ from your US experiences concerning:
Relations with professors/classroom instruction?
It was the same if not better, teachers here are really laid back and they would be ok with having a beer with you sometime. One professor invited us as a class to go get a beer.

Grading?
Grading is about the same.

Study habits?
Here you have a lot more free time and you don't have to study as much as in the US. Classes are pretty easy.

Library?
 I never used the library, I would either study in my room or in the Union since it's a lot closer then taking  a tram to go to the library.

What enabled/hindered your successful academic experience?
Studied with other people, making study groups. Going over notes before the tests.

MONEY & COMMUNICATIONS:

How much money in the US currency would you recommend students have at their disposal for their whole time overseas?
I would say about 4,000 depending on how much you will travel on your own.  

How much money did you have in foreign currency when you left for the program and was it enough? 
 I didn't have any foreign currency, I just waited until I got to the Prague airport to exchange. I did have 500 USD in cash so that made it easy to exchange without fees.

How did you manage your money (credit cards, traveler's checks, bank accounts, etc.)?
I used my credit card once to book a trip online. Other than that I used my debit card all the time to take money out or to pay.

How and where did you access your money?
I accessed my money in ATMs pretty much in every country to get their currency.

How much money did you spend on books, school supplies, food, entertainment, local transportation, travel, toiletries, airfare, laundry?
Books were given to us except for one we had to buy before we left and it was about 30 dollars.
On food I probably spent about 100 a week. Airfare at least 1800 with all my separate trips included. I spent a lot on souvenirs and shopping so that depends on how much you shop. Laundry is about 2 dollars to use the washing machines for 2 hours, or most people wash them by hand since they are not the best. 

How did you communicate with the US?
I communicated with them through an App and through FaceTime.

Other tips:
Make sure to learn some Czech before you come. It will be needed especially at the beginning. You will take Czech language classes so make sure you ask a lot of questions! Ask about all the basics the first week because you will not be taught the most important things until the end of the trip.

Top 10 Must Do Activities!!
1.) While in Olomouc, try kebabs! There is a Kebab place near the center that is the best! It's right beside a club called Varna.
2.)The Czech Republic has the best beer in the world! I hated beer in the US but I love Czech beer. Make sure you try it.
3.)There is a beautiful small town near Olomouc where you can find a zoo and a forest called Svatý Kopeček.
4.)While in Prague: check out the 5 story club right by the Charles bridge! You are going to love it.
5.)While in Venice or Vienna make sure you get Gelato! It is the best ice cream ever!!
6.)Make sure you get to know all the Erasmus students. They are really cool and they have their own program as well and they have many fun activities that you can join as well.
7.)Make sure you to go the Winceslas Restaurant in Olomouc it is delicious and they have great beer.
8.)If you get the chance to to go Barcelona, make sure you go!! It was my favorite city and its gorgeous there. Try the churros with hot chocolate. While in Barcelona go to Güey park and the Magic Fountain.
9.) While in Olomouc go to the parks they are beautiful there are a few parks.
10.)Make sure you go walk/run in the trail right beside Nezerdin it's beautiful in the Spring full of yellow flowers.




















No comments:

Post a Comment